Pain relief for kids after tonsillectomy
- Try Panadol in the day time and Oxynorm atnight. The Panadol must be given 4th hourly by the clock.
- Panadol is 15mg/kg – 4 x a day but if needed it can occasionally extend to 5 x day. (e.g. if the child wakes with pain at 2 a.m.)
- If the pain is severe use Oxynorm morning andnight and Panadol in the day time.
- Panadol suppositories can be used if oral Panadol is refused.
- Do not use Nurofen or Fenpaed or Fish Oil in the 2 weeks pre op and post op.
- Codeine is strong but occasionally causes vomiting and frequently causes constipation.
- Remember pain relief can take up to 15-20 minutes to be absorbed so you may need to wait for this prior to breakfast.